Tuesday, October 9, 2007

TUNA PATTIES WITH CREAM SAUCE

This has been a favorite of mine for many years. It is a very hardy meal and a good change from the usual fare. You may also make it with salmon or crab.

If you’d like, add bits of sautéed onions, green peppers or mushrooms to the patties or the cream sauce.

You can also just do the patties and have tuna burgers, add a slice of cheese and you have tuna melts.



Tuna Patties with Hard Boiled Eggs and Cream Sauce

2 hard boiled eggs – sliced

3 cans of tuna, drained
2 eggs, beaten
8 saltine or Ritz crackers, crushed fine
Salt and Pepper
1/8 t. dill weed (optional)

Mix all ingredients together and form into 4 patties about1/2-3/4’’ thick. If they do not seem to stick together because they are too moist add a few more crushed crackers. Fry in olive oil until brown on each side.

Cream Sauce:
This is just a medium white sauce, but I like to have it rather thick.
2-3 T butter or Margarine
2-3 T flour

1 1/2 c milk
¼ t salt
Pepper to taste
Dash of dill weed (optional)

In a small sauce pan melt butter or margarine. In a small jar mix the flour and rest of ingredients, shake well. Add to the butter and stir well. (Pre mixing the flour and milk helps prevent lumps.) Cook and stir over medium heat until bubbly, then cook a few minutes more. Set aside and keep warm. It is going to thicken up a bit.

Top tuna patties with cream sauce and a few slices of hard boiled egg. This is great served with peas and potatoes.

For those of you who are not experienced cooks: Cream sauce is a basic sauce with a number of uses, as a base for cream soups, milk gravies and many sauces. Add Parmesan cheese and you have Alfredo sauce for pasta or add other cheeses and you have a great sauce for veggies. There are a variety of herbs and spices which are wonderful on pastas also. Use with cooked hamburger over toast or noodles.BE CREATIVE!


2 comments:

Unknown said...

I am planning to use this recipe soon. It is just what I like in a comfort food. Good home cooking is the absolute best.

Thanks for visiting my blog. So far I am winning the battle against the bugs, but am almost wishing for colder weather to get rid of them all. I don't have many spiders, and when I see them I kill them right away. The reason being my 31 year old son despises them and is kind of scared of them. One day I heard a shriek from downstairs and raced down. There he was, curled up on the couch, pointing at a very thick book in the middle of the floor. When asked he told me there was an extremely large spider under the book. Imagine my surprise when I moved the book and found a itty bitty house spider underneath. I still giggle about that one.

Gayle said...

My DD is 5"10 or 11" and can be reduced to shreeking like a small kid when she sees a spider. I just giggle. She is much better now that she is a home owner and having to deal with all the problems. Nothing like growing up. Glad you are going to try the tuna patties. Let me know how you like them. They are one of my favorites. Gayle