Saturday, October 6, 2007

FALL IS HERE?

It was an outstanding day here in South Dakota, and I believe, we might have set a new record for it being 87 degrees today...at least that is the temp the weatherman predicted on the morning weather. One thing about living here is that if you do not like the weather... just wait a minute!

Yesterday after work, I wondered around in the back yard trying to decide what needed to be done today. There were 3 half open long stemmed roses, which I cut and brought in the house. It was a pleasant surprise.

Early this morning it rained, so mowing was put off until the afternoon. Laundry was started then I moved furniture around. I have not quite found the arrangement that is the most functional for me, sometimes it takes awhile of living in the room. The house was so packed with my DD being here, that it feels empty now. All of a sudden it seems like I do not have enough furniture and believe me, that is not the case! It was a good thing the furniture moved today is somewhat smaller in scale so I could do it by myself. It is amazing how creative one becomes when they have to!

This weather has confused the tomatoes as they are getting more blossoms, of course there will not be time for them to form and ripen. While mowing the yard, I noticed there was a small sprig of white flowers on my snowball bush. What the heck is up?

The late morning and afternoon was spent cleaning out the flower beds, cutting down some of the spent flowers, cutting back the honeysuckle and clematis vines, draining the pond and general clean up around the yard. There was allot of stuff I cut back, although I am not sure if I should have just waited until spring. But then, my idea of gardening is "bloom where you are planted and if you make it ok, if not....oh well. The garden is such a jungle that it does not matter a whole lot.

There still is allot to do to get ready for winter, like clean the gutters, which I have been putting off until all the leaves are off the maple tree in front. With the weather being so strange that could be sometime. It is something I HAVE TO DO, or there will be ice dams that form and I will have a big ice slick on the driveway all winter. Cleaning the gutters is one of my least favorite jobs, matter of fact it is little better than cleaning the pond! Every fall when I clean the pond, all I can think of was a saying I heard years ago and it always makes me giggle: It is hard to remember you came to drain the swamp, when you are up to your arse in alligators. How true!

So after a day outside I am tired and am going to enjoy the old English sit-coms on PBS.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I am still cleaning out the garden and dumping pots and baskets. Hubby has to cover my roses, and the strawberries yet. Cleaning gutters and doing some winter readiness to the house will occur hopefully next weekend.

Gayle said...

It did not seem like I got alot done, but in reality, actually I did. Still have to cover the clematis and roses, which will be with a pile of leaves.