Friday, December 21, 2007

ARE YOU PREPARED FOR THE HOLIDAYS?

Finally Friday work is over and the week end has started. Everyone is so busy this time of year....NOT ME! Well........ that is after I do my laundry, sweep and mop floors, dust the livingroom, vacuum rugs, make a few small gifts, finish chipping the ice off the end of the driveway, dig out the dishes and accessories for the Christmas eve table, grocery shop, and add a few tasks for the new year to my Evernote lists.

Christmas has been difficult since my Mom pasted away. In the last few years my daughter and I were still grieving. Last year we decided we needed to forget the past and start fresh with new traditions for just the two of us. Being the girls we are, we decided we would splurge and have anything we wanted for our Christmas eve dinner.

This year I actually did a bit of decorating in the livingroom. I have always loved to decorate the tree and house, but with just me, it does not seem worth all the effort. Putting it all up is such fun, but taking it down and storing it all away is just too much work. Actually I have enough decorations to decorate a few homes, but this year I put out all the snow men ornaments and my daughter contributed her 3 scrawny prelite trees. You know the ones that are 3 different sizes and very tall, but not real full? I love those trees! Unfortunately I did not have allot of smaller ornaments, so they are not FULL like I usually decorate my trees. One of my new year projects will be to make smaller ornaments. (I better put that on my TO DO list.)

Most of the decorations are contained in the livingroom and a few in the diningroom. Decorating the table should be fun, as I want to do a theme of gold glitz. That should light up our spirits!

It is hard to keep to a budget for gifts as my daughter keeps changing her list or adding to it. A few months ago I told her not to buy me anything I do not really NEED. (Stuff accumulates all too fast and it has raced into my house and garage.) ENOUGH!

I am excited to open my gifts and see what she thinks I really need. She knows my gifts to her are going to be useful and what she really needs.

We discussed what I wanted to buy her, which is paint for the interior for her house, so she knows she is getting that. Daughter had been living out of the city and renting her house, then lived with me for a bit. The color on the walls has to be the most awful color I have ever seen AND DEPRESSING. Who ever said there was no bad color, just the wrong color, sure never saw this one! So in addition to the paint, I am going to help her paint the interior again. This will be the 3rd time! It will be a good "bonding" time, as she calls it. Good thing I love to paint.

I hope all of you will have a bit of time to stop and smell the pine of the trees, taste the candy canes and give a big hug to all those who are important to you. Happy Holidays!

No comments: