Saturday, January 5, 2008

CRAB CAKES

Lately food has been very boring, so I decided I needed to make something different for dinner on New Year's Day. This is what I came up with and after mixing it up, I realized there was ALOT more there than I would eat.
So I called my daughter to come to dinner. She was not really excited with the menu, but after one bite, she wanted leftovers to take home. This was my first attempt and I was very pleased.
Side dishes were a simple lettuce salad and brown and wild rice simmered in homemade chicken broth with mushrooms and onions added in. Very simple... but tasty!
Our local Sunshine Grocery Store has mock crab on sale fairly often for $2 per 1# package, so this is a very thrifty "fancy" meal.


Crab Cakes
1/3 cup
mayonnaise
2 eggs
1teaspoon
lemon juice
1 tablespoon
Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon
Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon
black pepper
1/8 teaspoon
salt
1/8 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
1/8 teaspoon
crushed red pepper flakes
1/2 cup finely diced celery
1 1/4 cups breadcrumbs (partially toasted and put in food processor)
1
lb mock crabmeat flaked
1/2 Package Ritz crackers finely crushed

Mix all ingredients together except the Ritz cracker crumbs.
Make into patties – this recipe will make about 8-10 patties.
Put Ritz cracker crumbs on a plate or shallow dish and put each patty in and turn, so it is coated evenly. Fry in oil until golden brown.
Serve with a dab of salad dressing or mayo. This was a recipe I found on recipezaar.com, but modified for my use. I believe it was a copy cat recipe for Joe's Crab Shack Crab Cakes.

If you try the recipe, please let me know what you think.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Sounds really yummy, and I actually think I have a can of crab in the pantry. I can see Fridays meal coming up.