Sunday, January 13, 2008

BEEN BUSY

In addition to keeping warm, I have been keeping busy sewing. Moving around generates heat. This year I am going to try to use up things I have around here. My fabric and craft stash would rival a small shop, so I need to get creative!

Sewing projects finished yesterday:

  • My daughter's dogs needed new beds, so I dug into my stash of fiberfill (saved from a good deal I got on fiber beds and comforters) and heavy duty fabric to make them new beds.

  • A friend noticed the draft stoppers and commented she was thinking she needed to buy some for her house. BUY? My friend will have 3 draft stoppers and a matching rice/flax bag. This just took a few scraps and flax seed given to me by my nice neighbor.

  • Next month is my daughter's 30 birthdayso made her a nice present, which I will not divulge, as she occasionally reads this blog. But it involved a beautiful piece of fleece and can be worn.

  • I mended a patchwork jacket that has been hiding in my sewing cloest. Now I have another jacket to wear to work! 10 minutes of hand sewing saved the jacket from the rag pile.

  • I made new tea cozy to match the rice/flax bag I use to keep the teapot warm.

As most of you know I love rice bags and find all kinds of uses for them. I made my coworkers flaxseed bags for a little Christmas gift. There were 2 left, so I laid them on my boss's desk. The next day I asked him if he thought he and his wife could use them. His comment was, "Yes, thank you...Do you know what they are getting for these at the mall?" He then asked me to find a box for them and regifted them right in front of me!!! (We all knew he was Scrooge, but that was just plain rude far as I was concerned. This man is in his 60's and worth millions, and I would have thought would have had some manners, but guess not.

The office manager loved hers. She has arthritis and neck problems. I mentioned I made one that goes around my shoulders and offered to let her try it out to see if it would help her back and artheritis problems. She tried it on and got a look of relief on her face. (Just the weight of the bag without the heat helps put your shoulders down from your ears.) She tried it a few days and I asked how it worked. She said she wanted one too, as it really did help. So she now has one to match her little rice bag.

One of my other co workers got a rotten head cold, which settled in her ears. She used it on her ears and was surprised how good it felt.

Another friend called me a few weeks ago to tell me how comforting it was after surgery. She applied it to her incision. I do not know if that is a good thing to do or not, but it helped with the pain. It also works great for menstrual cramps.

I am surprised at the number of sites which exclaim the comfort and relief these little bags provide.There is a multitude of online sites that sell them and the prices amazed me! I wonder how many are sold! Maybe I should go into business. LOL

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Gayle, isn't it a wonderful feeling to slowly but surely use up our stashes. I hope your daughter likes your gift.

Anonymous said...

You have done so much with decorating and general sewing. Good for you. I read the recipe, thanks. Grams