Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Rice Bags - A Multi Purpose Accessory


I suppose there is not a soul who does not know what a rice bag is, but there might be one, so I will pass this along. Maybe there will be one or two new uses.

Make a small fabric bag, fill it with rice, sew it up, that is all there is to it! You have yourself your very own heating source, and somewhat of a cooling one too.

I would suggest using cotton fabrics, but have used a few other decorator fabrics also. It can made from simple muslin or a nicer decorator fabric with fancy trim. You can even make a little pillow case for it, flannel is nice. (A small pillow cover over a bag of frozen veggies makes a good ice pack too.)

Any fabric used needs to be microwavable. Test it out first if you are not certain. So after you have the rice bag constructed test it out in the microwave for about 30 seconds just to start. Warm it in the microwave for only a minute or two, it does not take long.

Rice will continue to give off a small amount of moisture for a long time. Flax seed also works. Jasmine rice is kind of nice. Some people add spices or dried flowers and have the benefits of an aroma therapy bag too. (Some gals have said they used fleece for the bag and it gets kind of moist, which is good if you want moist heat. Be careful heating them.)

The top one was made tonight. It is about 22" x 14" and was made to go around your shoulders to relieve stress. Not only does the heat help, but the weight of the rice/flax seed seems to feel good too. (A nice neighbor gave me the flax seed and I made her one too.) Just fold it in half to heat it.

The oval is for my bread basket. Just warm it and put a napkin on top of it to keep your buns warm. The other two are just general bags. I like to put channels in them as they hold their shape better. It depends on what you use them for or on.
So what do you do with a rice bag???

Use them in a basket to keep buns warm or in your bed to warm your buns.

Have a small critter that needs some comfort? Wrap the rice bag in a towel and put in a basket with the critter.

Keep your teapot warm; set it under your teapot and cover with a tea cozy. Make a teapot cozy and matching rice bag to keep your tea warm. Well, then there could be matching napkins, placemats….ok, I am getting carried away.

They make excellent hot pads for hot dishes or a casserole. See here is another opportunity for a matching casserole cozy and potholders…. Sorry…

Occasionally I have used one under my plate to keep my food warm.

They make great gifts for the elderly. Have arthritis in your knees or elbows; use your rice bag(s). You can make them with ties and wrap them around your knees so they stay on better. I have even seen hook and loop tape to make them adjustable. Larger ones can be use on your lower back for a backache. If you do not pack the rice in tight you have room for adjusting it on your joints. I have used in on my hands when they are giving me problems from over use. The moist heat of the rice is wonderful!

Are your shoulders tight from stress or sitting at the computer too long? Make a long narrow one you can wrap around your shoulders, but still curl around or fold to fit into the microwave.

Make one to put in a gift basket for someone who needs comfort or is sick. It would be great for someone with a cold to get a nice basket with a rice bag, a matching tissue holder, homemade hot chocolate mix or soup mix and some peppermints. You get the picture anyway!

Make a small one to use has a hand warmer while out shoveling snow. Then use one to warm your feet when coming in from the cold. Put them in your shoes or boots before you put them on.

A small one makes a good wrist pad when using your computer. You do not need to heat it up for this.

I have also made long narrow ones and used them for draft stoppers. (I do not use soybeans in draft stoppers because if they get damp you will find you have a crop of beans growing!)

Need soothing cool in the summer? Put it in the freezer to use on the back of your neck or any swelling.

Need a bean bag for a game? I think a rice bag would work too.

If you give them as a gift, add a note with all the uses. I make 5-6 at a time, as they seem to disappear.

4 comments:

Shellie said...

Thanks for the detailed uses of rice bags. I hadn't thought of using these before but I'll have to give it a try.

The ones you've made are so pretty.

Aunt Suzi Quilts said...

This is such a good idea. We have one that has been well used. And now I can replace it and make more for the kids to have one when they need it.

Anonymous said...

very creative and I really like it, I will use it as a gift for my visiting teaching thanks.

Anonymous said...

Very good sharing this.